Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

1984 300D Mercedes. When I come to a stop/let go of the gas

Customer Question

1984 300D Mercedes. When I come to a stop/let go of the gas the "battery" light flickers - sometimes all of the lights flicker, even the low fuel indicator. Not sure why.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Started to notice some smoke at idle out the exhaust.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST:

If you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help unless you…

… have basic knowledge and mechanical skills, and…

… have whatever tools and equipment might be needed for a proper diagnosis

The flickering lights could be telling you there is something wrong with the charging system - could be something as simple as loose alternator belt, or not so simple as a faulty alternator or internal voltage regulator. Looks like a thorough visual inspection and charging system check are in order.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards.