Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a mercedes r320 in the uk, when i brake on a steep ll

Customer Question

i have a mercedes r320 in the uk, when i brake on a steep hill the the brake assist holds and wont release.When it is a slight hill it will release but takes a fair few seconds before it allows throttle, also the vehicle pulls slightly when you put in drive or reverse with the break down, it is as if the clutch is not fully engaged.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my mechanic changed the brake sensor switch which was showing up as a fault on the computer, this has helped reduce the pull and vbration when i put it in drive but hasn't made a difference to the hill issue.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you say it pulls slightly is this when your taking off from a stop the brake pulls to one side?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When you put the vehicle in drive or reverse with the brake on you feel the vehicle wanting to pull away,so when you slow down and stop at a junction the vehicle is trying to pull off when I have the foot brake down.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,so just to be sure it feels like the vehicle is moving when the brake is held and is slowly moving when the brake is applied?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It doesn't move but it feels like it wants to move and the vehicle vibrates slightly, it as if it isn't fully out of gear
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,with the hill assist not wanting to release this may be an issue with a brake position switch not sending a signal that the brake is applied and released properly.This can cause the wanting to move forward fell or move when brake is applied as well as keep the vehicle from taking off properly on a steep hill when the brake is released.

I would have the vehicle re checked for any codes set to see if anything new has set in any of the computers.There may be a new fault code set for one of the brake sensors at fault needing replaced other then the one that was already replaced.

The sensor signals will also need checked using a scan tool or dealers sds machine to see if one or more of the sensors are sending an incorrect signal needing replaced.

Usually this is a brake pedal sensor at fault or brake pressure sensor in the brake booster needing replaced but I have seen issues with the anti lock brake hydraulic unit as well needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Pete will take it from here.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

YOur welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete