FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

Year 2000 Mercedes S500 now has 60,000 miles. Check engine

Customer Question

Year 2000 Mercedes S500 now has 60,000 miles. Check engine light comes on and off.Mechanic ran tests and said that there is a crack in the engine intake manifold.He wants to change the manifold and Air mass sensor even though the air mass is still good.
I also wonder why the word 'pneumatic " keeps popping up. '
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. If it has a crack in the manifold then that will cause the air flow sensor to read incorrectly so there is no reason to change that sensor until the intake is replaced and then the codes are cleared to see if it returns. As for the pneumatic system, most of the time this system will continue to have a warning light if it has a leak. The air springs are the most common cause of a slow leak on this vehicle. Please let me know if you need more help.