Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2002 Mercedes S 500 it starts and runs good but

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2002 Mercedes S 500 it starts and runs good but after running about 10 minutes it stops running and the only way it will start up again and run I have to disconnect the ground cable for a while then it will restart . whats is my problem
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well it runs fine like a kitten but it want stay running long before it turns off while idling
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** problem you are experiencing is most likely caused by a faulty crankshaft position sensor. The sensor tends to overheat and stop working after running a short time and cause the stalling. Disconnecting the battery cable for awhile gives the sensor time to cool down and it will typically start working again. You will need get the ignition system tested when the car won't start. More than likely there will be no spark to the spark plugs. If that is the case I would replace the crankshaft position sensor. A diagnostic test should also be performed to check for fault codes in the engine control module. There will usually be a fault code stored for the crankshaft sensor malfunction.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service as this is the only way that I can receive credit from the website for helping you.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Hi, just following up with you on this problem. Did you get this figured out? Was my answer helpful?