Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My 2005 Mercedes compressor ..battery /alternator light been

Customer Question

Customer: my 2005 Mercedes compressor ..battery /alternator light been on the last two weeks on and off...now I smell some burning..and the belts popped off..cant start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not really?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** burning smell was probably a pulley bearing or the alternator bearing going bad and it eventually caused the belt to overheat and come off. All of the rotating components for the belt need to be checked to see if they turn freely. Since the alternator light was on previously I suspect you will find that the alternator has failed or one of the pulleys was progressively going bad and finally came off.

Let me know if you have any questions.