Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1996 Mercedes S600. The ignition switch will not start the

Customer Question

1996 Mercedes S600. The ignition switch will not start the car. Battery has a full charge. Could it be a crank shift sensor?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Does the engine turn over but not start, or not turn over at all?

Also, you have it listed as 94 and 96, so I need to know which it is

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Engine does not turnover at all. The car is a 1994
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Earlier in the week I thought it might be the neutral safety switch and had it replaced with original part #6459-08028804
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry OEM, part #W0133-1608996
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Earlier my question should have read Crankshaft, sensor
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, a faulty crankshaft shaft position sensor will not prevent the engine from turning over. This will be in the starting system.

I am going to need the last 8 of the vin number to pull the starting system schematics.

Have you checked for 12v at the starter while someone turns the key to the crank position

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will get you the car VIN #WDBGA57EXRA164985Have not checked the voltage during startup yet...
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, there is a service bulletin out on this. The most common cause is a faulty starter lockout relay, located behind top right corner of dash(see attached photo)

You have to remove the passenger side airbag to reach it(see attached)

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am having the car towed to Mercedes tomorrow. Will share your notes. Will rate your help after Mercedes installs the new part starter lockout relay.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good.

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Eric,
Please if you would be patient I should be getting an answer from the Mercedes Benz shop here in Portland. I provided them you reference to the recent MEMO from Mercedes about the ignition relay behind the front passenger airbag and they were going to test and inspect and likely replace this part. I should hear back from them tomorrow and at that time I will certainly rate your suggestions and help.
Kindest regards,
Robert
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

Ok, sounds good

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Eric,
I want to thank you for your patience. I will be hearing from Mercedes in the morning and then I will complete the process.
Bob Fagliano
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

Ok, not a problem

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?