FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

2011 E350 coupe. no start with either key. no error

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, 2011 E350 coupe. no start with either key. no error messages. key won't open trunk but will open with door switch. the display on the dash shows mileage and dont' forget key but no other messages.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Will the accessories come on at all when you attempt to start it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I get the radio but not climate control. I removed the start push button from the ignition and then I could lock/unlock/open the trunk. I couldn't do that with the button in the ignition. Also, I noticed after a few minutes, the system would display "cannot find key or read key". when I took the push button out and inserted the remote, the car displayed the message "remove key from ignition". I looked at the push button and saw there are two holes for what appears to be two tabs, one tab is missing. Is that an issue?

Thank you. It sounds like the electronic ignition switch has failed. If it fails then it will not pick up the key and this will occur. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that depends on part availability and difficulty
how hard is it to remove and replace the switch?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is it just the push button or the whole assembly under the dash?

It is the entire assembly under the dash. It can be somewhat difficult to replace if you are not used to doing this work.