Kevin
Kevin, Master tech
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

My fuel guage on my 9 year old mercedes 320 avantgarde clk

Customer Question

Customer: My fuel guage on my 9 year old mercedes 320 avantgarde clk show s a quarter full but runs out of petrol - is this an electronic fault e.g.. some fuek sensor or sludge or something in the petrol tank. When I fill the tank up ithe car goes ok but then the same thing happens, it has happened twice?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All the author gauges, temperature etc seem to be working OK and I recently had the car serviced
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin this is most commonly cause by a bad sensor in fuel tank .the sensor is a potentiometer and what tends to happen is it fails in the most common fuel position around the quarter tank mark .so the circuit fails below this but will show the rest