FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

My 2005 MB320 CDI Diesel is having intermittent starting

Customer Question

My 2005 MB320 CDI Diesel is having intermittent starting problems. It recognizes the key but won't even turn over. I have 131,000 miles on the car. Drove to Phoenix, AZ from Harrisburg, Pa this past Aug/Sept without a problem. Jan 1 I was driving to Atlanta, Ga and after driving 125 mi for a pit stop the car wouldn't turn over, waited approx 15 min after opening the hood, tried starting and it started. Drove 300 mi to Dobson, N C motel and arrived at 4:15 p.m.. Damp and a little rain at 5:00 p.m. when we wanted to go to dinner, the car wouldn't start even though all lights came on on the dash, glow plug lights, etc.
Next morning the car started without a blink, so we continued our journey.
I'm guessing something might be breaking down from underwood heat, but the Phoenix trip throws me a curve. Any thing you can offer? Larry Loughner
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. When this occurs do you get any sort of warning on the dash when you try cranking the engine? Do you have a spare key that you have tried?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NO warning. Tried both keys. I did notice that a light, ? which one, didn't seem to be lite properly: I noticed this when the car did start the following morning.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Incidentally, when I tried both keys I tried them in both directions. This problem occurred last summer in my garage a little;
while turning the key I jiggled the gear shift and the car started. My dealer couldn't figure out the problem last summer and I haven't seen them since this new incident.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ive been delayed in receiving and answering you as my IPAD cookies cant be enabled, so I"ve come to my computer.

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I was not online earlier. It sounds like you have a failing electronic ignition switch. These are a common failure and will have issues picking up the key when it fails.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wont be in Pa for 3 months where the car is garaged in my home. When I get home I will take it to my dealer.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will rate you when I get home in April and take the car for repair. You did offer a potential solution and I thank you. This info will remain on my computer so I can later rate you. Larry Loughner

No problem Larry. Keep in mind also that even after you rate my service I can continue to help you. Have a great weekend.