Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

C350 2008 got home next day went out to start car turn

Customer Question

c350 2008 got home next day went out to start car turn ignition switch car doesn't start battery is fully charged smart key works door locks and trunk when I turn key not a sound
could this be ignition switch if so do I need to reprogram key if switch is replaced
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'s possible that the ignition switch has failed but it is more likely that there is a fault with the starter or with the start authorization system. Certain requirements must be met in order for the computer to activate the starter motor. If the computer does not recognize that the transmission is in park for example it will not allow the starter to crank the motor. A fault in the park position switch or a fault with the electronic steering lock or with the starter itself are more common problems as opposed to a faulty ignition switch. A new ignition switch must be purchased from a Mercedes dealer and must be programmed to your vehicle.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service as this is the only way that I can receive credit from the website for helping you.

Marty