FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

Check battery alternator light came on. Batter was replaced

Customer Question

Check battery alternator light came on. Batter was replaced last year. Can I test the battery and alternator separate? Car idles rough when engine is cold. Advice?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if you have a voltage meter to run you through some tests? If the battery light is on when the engine is running then chances are you have an alternator that is failing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have any tools. I'm trying to get some direction before I go to the shop?

Thanks for the response. If the car is starting fine then the battery should be just fine. The battery light coming on when the engine is running indicates a bad alternator. I would always check the battery connections first. If those are clean and tight then it is probably the alternator.