Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Just bought car 1997 C230, has not been running in 2 years

Customer Question

Customer: Just bought car 1997 C230, has not been running in 2 years (sitting), drain gas, replace fuel pump, added clean gas. car started right up but ABS Light on what do I need to check
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What do I need to check for the ABS light being on. I have not put this car on the road yet as I just got it running after sitting 2 years. car has 92K miles and is otherwise clean
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will wait, do more digging.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, to confirm is it the abs light or the esp light? and does the light come on while driving or just when started and never gone out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the ABS light, I have not test drove it yet. I purchased this car and it had been sitting 2 years.
thought I would check to see it any connectors fuses may be bad, but did not locate them yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light is on when I start the car and does not go out

OK most likely it will be because of the low voltage in the module, and Mercedes modules do not erase codes when the battery voltage is removed, you will need a scan tool to reset it and erase it. only then if you got the light to come back on after the codes were erased then you can return to me with the codes and I can tell you what will fix it. without a scan tool you may be able to fix the issue but you would never know because the light would not go out on its own until a scan tool was used to erase it. you will need a Mercedes style scan tool not a generic obd scan tool , I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will continue then with test driving the car and see if I can locate a scan tool (Mercedes style) and let you know

ok I will be here to assist.