Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Marty, I have one of the GL450 2007 with M273 engines...that

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Marty, I have one of the GL450 2007 with M273 engines...that is part of law suite... I just got quoted MB dealer $6500 to change idler gear etc. Truck is running rough with codes p0017 and p0015 I think i have to tackle job myself. I want to do this without pulling engine..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: can you supply complete instructions on how to do this job without pulling engine? Also can you provide part numbers I will need...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Can you also recommend where to get the parts?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello, for one you cannot do this without pulling the engine, the engine must be pulled., this repair is not at all easy for the first timer , there have been multiple techs with years of experience that have tried and caused lots of damage, the engine is very very technical and not as easy as one may think. let me know what other info I can provide but I cant stress enough that its better left to people with experience on this engine. please trust me on this., let me know your thoughts,. Lou.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks lou, I have seen some posts right here where you do not have to pull the engine because with the m273 V8 the idler gear is just bolted on. Whereas on the m272 the balancer shaft goes all the way thru the engine and has another balancer weight at the back and bolt so the engine has to be removered.Have you worked on the m273? or could you please connect me with someone who has....Sincerely.Dan

I have done about 15 of both engines, the main issue is the oil pan, you willhave the hardest time doing the oil pan upside down and sealing it correctly as well as the timing cover.

the engine comes out very very easy and would be such a waste of time to try and do in the car. the engine does not come out from below as most would assume, there is plenty of room to pull the engine up and out of the engine bay.