Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

I have had the battery warning light on while yesterday car

Customer Question

I have had the battery warning light on for a while yesterday car started just fine driving home a message comes on saying " battery extremely low start engine otherwise auxiliary functions will shut down in 3 minutes"
So obviously the engine is on because I am driving.
then within 3 min I look Abs EBs lights etc but the car is still driving but in some kind of slow mode.
I pulled over shut the engine could not start it again. Got a bust car started but same problem light ABS and everything else shut down but I still could drive home.
This morning had the battery changed but still same issue
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 1 year ago.

Such symptoms indicate faulty alternator. It charges the battery and also provides signal that engine is running to some of the electronics.

So first of all, the charging voltage at the battery should be checked while engine is running. If the voltage is less than 14V- alternator will need to be overhauled or replaced.

Best Regards,

Stan