FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

My name is ***** ***** I have a 2007 Mercedes GL450. I have

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** I have a 2007 Mercedes GL450. I have problems with the drivers side heated seat. The seat heats for a while and then shuts down I try the button and it just goes out either right away or within a few seconds all the other seats work fine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The drivers seat will not heat it works intermittently. Is it possible that it is the switch on the dash that is defective when it heats it works well.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes no problem how do I get in touch with you?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the seat heater will ever stay on or does it do this every time you drive the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does stay on for a while then stops working very so often it goes through the complete cycle ans slowly turns down. But most of the time I press the button and it goes off right away then after a few times trying it stays on for a few seconds and shuts down.
Is it possible that it would be the switch on the dash?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in getting back with me. It is possible that it is the switch but those are not a common failure. I have changed very few of them. Most of the time it is the heater element in the seat. These are the most common failure I have had that causes this. It is usually the seat bottom itself which would need to be replaced as an assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you test to see if it is the seat bottom?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

The correct way to test it is with a scan tool that can see what the command is from the module when the seat is turning off. This is a dealer specific scan tool. The other way would be to test the voltage and resistance readings of the seat to see what is going on. Do you have a voltage meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have all the tools necessary to work on the the truck I am a mechanic but mainly motorcycles
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

I have attached the wiring diagram of the seats. You need to remove the connections at the driver side seat back and cushion and check the resistance. If you show and open or low resistance then you have a problem. If the values are fine then the problem is more than likely in the front SAM module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any specific value I am looking for?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

There is not a specified resistance value. You are mainly looking for a low resistance reading indicating a short or an infinite reading indicating an open.