Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My Smartcar has the Key image in the dash and wont start? I

Customer Question

Customer: My Smartcar has the Key image in the dash and wont start? I repalced the battery what is going on? Dave
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here your vehicles anti theft system has engaged and has disabled the starting.This can occur like this here when the battery is replaced.What needs to be done is to have the anti theft system relearned.This usually requires a dealers computer to do this with your vehicle at the dealer unfortunately.They will usually charge around an hours labor to do this relearn.

In some cases just locking and unlocking the doors or leaving the key in the ignition will reset the anti theft system and allow starting.If this doesnt work after doing this for several minutes then it does need relearned and usually by a dealer.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete