Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Re my 2002 ml320. Last december 18 Friday, the car

Customer Question

re my 2002 ml320. Last december 18 Friday, the car "skidded "@ 25mi/hr becoz the brake felt like it was locking. The panel showed BAS/ESP. I drove @ around 10 mi/hr just to reach home as it kept "skidding" . It was saturday yet when i drove the car again and this time it was ok. No warning on the panel board. Then this Saturday, Jan 9, the steering wheel was so hard to turn and ultimately noted what appears to be steering fluid on my driveway. i came to know of a recall relating to same problems before , from ml320 2000 til 2003 models. What is your knowledge of this? What should i should i do?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** brake problem is usually caused by a bad yaw sensor. When the sensor malfunctions it causes the traction control module to think that the car is skidding and will randomly apply the brakes. You will need to get the car connected to a Mercedes tester to check for fault codes in the traction control system. More than likely there will be a fault code stored for the yaw sensor or for one of the other sensors in the system. The power steering problem could be caused by a ruptured hose or a leaking power steering pump. You will need to get the power steering system inspected for leakage. The only recall is on a low pressure power steering hose from the pump to the power steering oil cooler.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please click on a rating for my answer as this it the only way that I receive credit from the website for helping you.

Marty

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the power steering, was the recall on the low pressure power steering hose from pump to the power steering oil cooler, the result of a ruptured hose or a leaking power steering pump? If so, replacement of the ruptured hose and leaking power pump would automatically correct the problem.Does the car need to be recalibrated or something that i need to bring it to a car dealership service dept? H0w, re my brake, i now remember that when it was Skidding, it felet and sounded that metal under was ready to break.It that what is expected when you have that break problem. It is in np way related to that steering problem? Tnx
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, the steering problem and the brake problem are unrelated. It's actually a high pressure hose that causes the problem on the power steering not the low pressure hose. The hose would slip off of the connection at the cooler. The recall was to replace the hose only. Once you repair the leak the power steering should be fine as long as the pump was not damaged due to loss of fluid.

There is no re calibration for the skidding problem. This is simply a malfunction of the traction control system that needs diagnosis with the Mercedes tester.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please click on a rating for my answer as this it the only way that I receive credit from the website for helping you.

Marty

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What do you do with the malfunction of the traction control system, if it is? Tnx
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

The malfunction will most likely be caused by a faulty yaw sensor. Replacing the sensor will usually cure the problem of the skidding.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Marty,the mechanic saw a leak in the pinion steering rack. What can be done?i saw that they are selling it based on the chassis number. Would you know the chassis number of my MB? I am from Nj,central. Do you know of a place to bring my car that is reasonable in fees?
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, your chassis number is ***** your vehicle registration. If you post your zip code I may be able to locate a shop in your area.

I noticed that you have not rated my service on this question. You may not realize how the website works but if you do not rate my service I do not get paid for helping you.