Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 2011 C300 Mercedez Benz with 80K miles on it. the

Customer Question

I have a 2011 C300 Mercedez Benz with 80K miles on it. the check engine light came on and I took it to a Mercedez Benz service department where I was told that the thermostat needed to be replaced and the radiator flushed. Is this common for a car with only 80K miles. I have follow the maintenance schedule so I'm surprised I'm having to spend $800 to $900 to fix the problem.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The thermostat becomes weak over time and on the newer models this causes the check engine light to come on and set a fault code for the temp not reaching the specified warm up temperature the vehicle usually achieves.This is a common issue not only on the Mercedes vehicles but all newer models.

The coolant flush is usually optional as sometimes they try and upsell services when its close to time for this service but on your model the coolant is usually replaced once every 3 years.If it hasnt been replaced yet then it is a good idea to have it done but this choice is up to you and as long as the coolant is not contaminated at all then just having the thermostat replaced will correct the check engine light fault here and you can wait for the coolant flush/replacement.

I have seen some thermostats fail at around 50,000 miles in some cases but usually around 80,000 is normal for it to need replaced.I show a cost or $167 for the thermostat and around $30 for the antifreeze needed to top off the coolant if it is just replaced and no coolant flush performed and 1.8 hours labor to have the thermostat replaced so a total of around $450 to have it replaced.The coolant flush can usually run around $200.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. Your response was very helpful!
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete