Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Jacyn. My issue is the speedometer and gas gauge, and

Customer Question

Customer: Jacyn. My issue is the speedometer and gas gauge, and temperature gauge are like stuck in place. and sometimes they will tick back and forth erratically.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2000 mercedez ml320. The gauges stay on zero (instrument cluster). clock and odometer works fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The odometer operates off of the instrument clusters speed signal.This indicates the correct speed signal is being sent to the cluster to operate the odometer and the speedometer but since the speedometer is not operating as well as the other gauges and issues you see here this sounds like the common fault of the instrument cluster itself with it needing removed and replaced.

I have seen this fail before in the past needing replaced to correct this type of fault here.This will have to be done by either a dealer or authorized repair center for Mercedes as it will need setup and coded after it is installed using a dealers sds machine.

Unfortunately this can be a common fault and the instrument cluster is usually the cause in most all cases needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ive gotten a simpler response. Not saying yours wont work but I will definitely try that first. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete