Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My ML 350 driver's seat won't slide back or foward

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the seat will not move properly with the control switches this may be an issue with the control switch itself at fault or the wiring becoming disconnected at the switch or seat causing this here.It may also be due to a fault with an ecu internally that controls the seat.The first thing that needs done here is to check under the seat and see if anything has become disconnected needing reconnected or repaired.If a fault is found it will need corrected.If this is all checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping to get help for this over the weekend. I am at work now and unable to look at the car until later in the evening. If you are on the US West Coast time, I'd like to continue working with you. But, if your time zone is different, it'd be difficult for me to benefit from delayed response to my questions.The motor itself is working. The seat moves when I use the pre-set buttons on the side of the seat. The seat appears to be stuck on the left-hand rail. When you press the buttong to slide back or forward, the right-hand side of the seat moves, but the left does not, making the seat crooked. The seat goes up and down and it reclines. The problem appears to be isolated to the left-hand side rail. Unfortunately, I don't see anything blocking the rail.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for any delay and posted as soon as I saw your question myself.I am on Mountain time which is one hour above west coast time.I will be here until about 3 pm Mountain time today and back again tomorrow around 6 am.If this will not work for you let me know.

With the issue you have here this sounds like the left side of the seat track is jammed and may have a broken component inside of it to where the track itself needs replaced.I have had to replace several of these seat tracks before for this issue here.If you do not see any debris in the track in some cases pushing or pulling on the seat when trying to move it will free up the seat but if this does not work the seat will either need removed and the track inspected to see if it can be repaired or the seat track replaced.I can say in most cases I have had to replace the entire seat track for the same issue you see here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be able to guide me through the process of doing what you have described? If yes, then I can work with your schedule. I am fairly good at following instructions. Otherwise, I'm sure that you will agree with me that it'd be better to get someone who can help me in the evening time when I am able to work on the car.Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately after looking through all of my info I dont have detailed enough pictures for inspecting the seat track.I will post the seat removal procedure on this here and once it is removed you will want to look at the seat track for anything that needs repaired if it can be repaired.If it needs replaced unfortunately my info isnt showing this detailed info as well.I do show that from a dealer the seat track is $1370 without memory seats and $2000 with memory seats and 2.0 hours labor to have replaced.I know that it usually bolts to the seat bottom with 4 to 6 bolts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2du1eyonek2m44/se-01-11.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fr4bc3p1q5rc8vw/sea-01-11.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to wait and see if another expert can help me with more details. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if you need anything else from me let me know.

Thanks Pete