Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2009 C300 radio keeps turning off after I was changing music

Customer Question

2009 C300 radio keeps turning off after I was changing music on my phone through the iPod cord and the iPod stopped working and turned the radio off. Now my volume buttons on my steering wheel don't work.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

What usually happens is the Ipod kit that is installed in the vehicle the connection adapter at the back of the radio has poor contact and causes this issue here.Mercedes has a bulletin on this type of fault here to replace the Ipod connection kit with a new factory replacement.This will occur if the Ipod kit was installed with the vehicle when built or added in after.The connection at the back of the radio/command unit needs checked to see if it has poor connection and then the Ipod conversion harness needs replaced with the updated harness usually to correct this issue here which can be obtained at a dealer to replace it.This connection is the main connection for the radio/head unit that affects the steering controls in some cases as well as all operations of the radio.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I get to this spot to check the connection?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

The radio itself will need removed.This involves removing the center vents above the radio using special tools then the screws can be removed to remove the radio.Once removed the connection/adapter harness can be replaced.The special tools are below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86nba0742f5tzh1/h-01-11.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxd70eysb3u3rxn/rad-01-11.gif?dl=0

I know usually at a dealer this can run around an hours labor to have done plus the cost of the harness itself.

Thanks Pete