Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

I have a 2013 Mercedes GLK-250 and need to remove the rear

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2013 Mercedes GLK-250 and need to remove the rear bumper. I have the following instructions (for a 2010). My question is where is expansion clip #9? I removed the two (#6) with no problem. However, I cannot find the #9 one. So I don't know if I should just start tugging on it, or if there is something else holding it in: http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/3poa8-remove-rear-bumper-fascia-2010-mercedes-glk.html#re.v/463/ ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If you look at the link I sent, you'll see a picture that points to where the #9 expansion clip is located. It shows it is underneath the rear fender paneling. However, when I remove #6 expansion clips and pull the fender paneling away there's nothing inside where the arrow is showing the expansion clip is supposed to be. So I don't know if the car just doesn't have the #9 and I should just go ahead and pull the bumper after pulling everything else off, or if there is still something holding it in (#9). Please let me know ASAP. I've been struggling with this for over a week now. Thanks, ***** *****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Depends on how long. I'm heading to bed in a few minutes. I am going to need pictures, etc. to see exactly where that expansion pin is. If I get good clear info and pictures, etc., then $18 is fine.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have enclosed the factory steps for the 2013, have a look at them and see if they are what you need . Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Rear%20bumper%20Jan%208.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron. I appreciate the reply. However, I already have a copy of the 2013 instructions (as well as the 2010 instructions I referenced in my question). The only difference between the two is that they recommend removing the taillights (which helps you to see the tabs that the bumper slides into). However, they are identical in that they both reference removing expansion clip (#9). They both show the clip as apparently being under the fender cover (which you pry up after removing all the bolts and expansion clips (#6). I've done all that, but I cannot locate expansion clip #9 anywhere. The picture in the instructions is not helpful at all, nor does it say where it is. I've talked to people at two body shops that work on MBs, and it appears none of them have ever removed a bumper from a GLK since none of them know about that pin. One person said to just start pulling the bumper off, and since the clip #9 is supposedly plastic, I could ruin the clip but hopefully not damage the bumper. Not the answer I'm looking for. I need to know where that pin is so I can locate it and remove it (or verify that it isn't there for some reason). It's not going to be in the official MB instructions if it isn't there. I don't want to risk damaging the bumper so have to locate it. Too bad the MB instructions are so poor. Again, I appreciate the response, but I need help from someone with hands on experience removing this bumper (beyond the MB instructions which I already had).Gordon
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I have sent everything I have access to. I was not aware you had the 2013 steps. I will open the post back up for you in hopes another may have what you need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no difference between the 2010 instructions that I initially referenced and the ones for the 2013 other than it says to take the tail lights out first. The problem I have is exactly the same. I can get through all steps (remove all bolts, fasteners, etc.) until I get to the next to last step, which is to remove the left and right expansion clip (#9). The picture is the same in both instructions; it just shows an arrow to somewhere behind the fender well. But there is nothing there that I can see, and I don't want to potentially damage the bumper by tugging and pulling it off if those expansion clips are still there (are used). So as I initially requested, I need to know where those expansion clips are (#9; I already know where #6 are and removed them), and need someone who has done it before to let me know where they are (preferably with pictures). I appreciate you getting the 2013 instructions (which I already had but hadn't referenced), but it's the same problem; the 2013 instructions are the same and don't help me.