MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Im geting 20/22 mpg with this95 e320 wagon and previosly had

Customer Question

Im geting 20/22 mpg with this95 e320 wagon and previosly had a 94e320 sedan which got nearly 27 ...also seemed to have more power.. Ive changed the plugs and replaced a bad coil pac and ignition wires but suspect the engine control settings which require a tech with equipment...I am local to Portland/Salem but live on the N Oregon coast.97146...97201in Portland..am I correct in expecting better mileage and suspecting the engine control unit...timing curves/advance? I do get check engine lights intermitently and plan to read the codes..but the car runs beautifully. Really hums above 3000 rpm...( we do have one good shop here) Thanks aagain..I know your knowedge is authoritative..
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me how many miles are on the 95 and how long you have had it for? It is a*****model, correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the car is two WD and has a very tight engine..my other e320 was higher miles and had slap and knocks..just took posession of this which was rebuilt after total front end wreck in 2005 by mercedes certifed in Tacoma..It was sitting for two yrs and full of mouse nests and ants but in great shape..ran beautifully as I say, after changing the plugs and wires..has the new wiring harness but still not getting the mileage..some of these will get 30 driven right..at times..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

did you see my reply below/? if you have merz expertise id love a comment.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Can you give me the VIN to check a few specs out. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sure...vin is wdbea92e6sf316680... Added notes... that it had fouled fuel and I have a fresh set of injectors ready to install..but still suspicious of timing and the ecu computer..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

you are going to alldata? I just looked them up and want to take out a trial membership..I can read the codes and download the manuals for all the systems...

id sure like to increase my MPG by about five MPG to what my 94 had..350 per tank rather than 275...same engine/tires...

The reason I ask about the VIN is that I wanted to verify the differential ratio. This can make a difference between the two vehicles MPG. If you are certain that they both have the same final drive ratio then it may be an issue with the timing or resetting the computer. How many miles have you put on the vehicle since you have had it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Youre just chatting here. Im not seeing you offering any exertise or even research. not worth answering questions which will not lead to any useful remedies,not impressed with your diagnostic logic..Its nt worth the cost of the data to continue. you maybe very helpful to lessknowledgeable askers than myself..Im ahed of most backyard mechanics..whatyou ask will tell us nothing.. I looked up the vin for you and still it didnt tell anything..Im done.

I am sorry that you are not happy. I have to get as much information as possible because what you are asking is not the same as a repair, and it is not always realistic to think that you will get the same MPG from even the exact same cars purchased at the exact same time, let alone two cars that are over 20 years old. I will opt out and allow someone else to help you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I gave you the vin..did ittell you aboutthegear ratioasyou wanted? Youcould have just advised ME to compare the gear ratioand moved ontoknowledge of theengine management systems whichyouobviously lack...youre covering forrlack ofknowledge. I guess marty was offended I onlytipped him ten dollars and heexpects more...didnt eventhankme..he is superlative inknowledge anddoes the researchbutheis alsotop dollar..yet if we were well off wewould just be payingmecanics..

sprry forthe text mytablet has a hesitation..this isa waste of time..trying tolearnhere and the forumsand parts houseshavegreatinfo..

Have a good night.