Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2000 Mercedes Benz ML320. The sun roof was left open in a

Customer Question

2000 Mercedes Benz ML320. The sun roof was left open in a rainstorm that lasted 4 hours, all instruments got soaked. I got into the car and shut the sunroof. I started the car OK. Then I tested to see if the window controls worked, they did. When I tried to put it into gear the shifter would not move while I had my foot on the brake. I called my mechanic and he said that I should not of tried to start it cause it could of shorted out the safety switch. He wants me to put a hair dryer on the shifter area and try to dry it out. He said to test it out later by turning the key only to the secondary position and try to move the shifter again. Do you agree ?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** this is a very common failure when rain gets to the gearshift selector module. If you are lucky you will be able to dry out the shifter and it will start working again. In most cases the shifter assembly will need to be replaced.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes question. Was my answer helpful?

Marty