Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1997 w210. Mileage 170k. HEAVY vibration RF wheel between 45

Customer Question

1997 w210. Mileage 170k. HEAVY vibration RF wheel between 45 and 55 mph. Sounds noisy on bumpy roads too.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** can I help?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1997 e420. 170k miles. HEAVY vibration RF wheel between 45 - 55 mph, as well a rattle on bumpy roads
Expert:  Marty replied 11 months ago.

I saw your initial post but not exactly sure what your question is. Offhand it sounds like you either have a wheel balance issue or a very loose steering linkage or suspension bushing or ball joint. Something like this will require an inspection of the front suspension.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll check the suspension tomorrow to see if anything is loose. I thought maybe a shock that wasn't working (at all) might be the problem. The tire vibration is very heavy between 50 - 55 mph. No vibration below 45 mph—some at 60+.I don't think a tire out of balance would cause the severity of vibration. I'll get back with you if I can. Thank you
Expert:  Marty replied 11 months ago.

You'd be surprised at how bad a wheel can shake when it's out of balance. You might try rotating the tire to the rear and see if anything changes. If it still vibrates there must be some loose suspension or linkage. A bad shock can cause vibration but not as likely as the loose suspension.

Expert:  Marty replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes question. Was my answer helpful?

Marty

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey Marty,
Sorry about my tardy response. I run a horse farm (wife's enterprise) so I'm usually pretty busy with things. I swapped tires (front to back) but that didn't stop the vibration. I applied force to the lower control arm, the ball joint, etc., with a good-sized crow bar but didn't find much play in these parts.
A number of years ago I had a Dodge Caravan that had the same thing going on, so I put in a new strut and that eliminated the problem. I think I'm going to try a new shock, or swap shocks. Thanks
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, if the front shocks feel about the same when you bounce the front end up and down I don't think a shock will help. If one side is real soft or overly firm it could be the problem. A seized brake caliper could also cause the problem. I'd make sure that the wheel turns freely.

Let me know how you make out. Please remember to rate my service when you are done.

Marty