FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

I am having some random problems with my transmission on my

Customer Question

I am having some random problems with my transmission on my 2005 CLK 500. Sometimes it gets stuck on 2nd gear. After a full stop may be fine for about 2-3 minutes. Then, it might get stuck on 2nd gear again. Until today it was impossible to drive on the highway. Today I learned that while stuck on the 2 gear I can put it on neutral and then back into D. Transmission switched to a really high gear 6 or 7 while the speed was only 20 miles. It took a long time to gain speed appropriate for highway, but it did. Though the car would downshift normally right? But it didn't.
What do you think would fix my problem, reset the transmission controller to clear my driving habits, or replace the whole transmission?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Typically this is a problem with the valve body in the transmission. The valve body may have some debris stuck in it or a sticking solenoid. It can also possibly be the onset of a transmission failure. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
actually the engine light came on the first day I had this transmission problem. If there's debris would flushing the transmission fix the problem?

Some of the time a fluid change will help. Since the check engine light is on the best thing to do is to have the computer scanned for codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. If you have this done and bring me the codes I can tell you what they mean and what may be going on.