Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Rob, i have a 84 190d 2.2 601 diesel. replaced head gasket,

Customer Question

Customer: rob, i have a 84 190d 2.2 601 diesel. replaced head gasket, timing chain, injector nozzle and injector valve seal. runs rough and lots of smoke. will not pull up in rpm. compression is around 350. any idea what would cause this, double checked timing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes. will start cold, lots of smoke, blue white and other colors, sounds like it is missing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes can wait. 18 is fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With a blue smoke this can indicate engine oil being burned and this can be due to piston ring failure or cylinder wall damage in some cases.This will have to be checked into further to locate the source of the smoking issue here then repaired and see if the engine continues to run rough after this has been done.The smoking is an indication of the engine burning a fluid and it sounds like engine oil which in turn can cause the engine to run rough.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for getting back with me. one question, if one piston or more is bad, i should be able to measure exhaust temp and see which one is bad? also would compression variations tell the same story?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If it is an oil ring failure on a piston in allot of cases compression may be o.k. but the oil can leak past the ring and cause the smoke issue and running issue here.The cylinder may have a cooler temp then the rest I would think if a piston ring is allowing oil into the cylinder.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete