Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I am working on a 1998 mercedies e320 and the starter just

Customer Question

Customer: i am working on a 1998 mercedies e320 and the starter just clicks but won't start ad brand new starter
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i am getting no power to the small wire on the starter but if i jump the starter relay it cranks. I tried swapping the k40 relay module with another known good one and still same thing. I have all the proper power and grounds to the relay but same thing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes sir, I am going to put the kids to bed now and will return!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

If the 12V feed to the starter isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this part may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 12v to the starter from the battery. The 12v ignition wire comes from the the k40 module were the starter relay is. As I said the starter cranks when the relay is jumped which tells me the wire is good from the relay module to the starter. I have proper voltage and ground to relay terminals when the relay is out but for some reason when the relay is in it sends enough voltage to light the test light for a split second to make the starter click and then goes away. That is were I am stumped, it just doesn't make sense.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

if you haven't already then I'd check that the main earth connection is good as this sounds like there's a problem with this, might be worth just clipping on a jump lead between the engine block and battery earth to see if this helps at all

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
According to the power probe the engine has a good ground .
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

in that case I'd say the issue must be with the ignition switch? as if its not sending sufficient current to the K40 device to keep it switched in then there must a be a dirty contact or a short on the switch