MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

I have a 2009 C300 that has developed a whine that you can

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2009 C300 that has developed a whine that you can hear whenever the engine is running. I thought perhaps it might be a power steering issue or an alternator/generator going out. Car runs fine but the noise is a concern.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just that it is definitely only audible when the engine is running. I turned the wheel left and right and it does not seem to be worse. I'm trying to determine the seriousness of this issue. What else can I tell you that will help?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, m name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if the noise changes as the engine warms up. Does it change when turning the steering wheel?