Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 2003 SL 500. The hard top would not close. It goes

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I have a 2003 SL 500. The hard top would not close. It goes about half way and stops. Checked fluid, seems okay. was trying to figure out if it could be manually closed when motor stopped and it won't do anything. Reads In operation on dashboard. Can't get to fuse box in trunk. help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thats about where its at right now.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This is usually due to a fault with one of the limit switches that switch when the top is in operation and tells the computer what position the top is in.If one or more of them are sending an incorrect signal on what position the top is in this will occur and the affected switch usually needs replaced.The switch signals are usually checked using either a dealers sds machine or compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle to locate and replace the affected switch.This needs checked.

If you need the info on how to close the top manually let me know and I can see what I can locate for you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do need information on manually closing the top in order to get it to a mechanic. I tried to find the information myself but couldn't get anything confirmed. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any idea why it would go from partially opening, you could hear it running to completely quiet but still showing on the dash as in operation?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

If one of the micro switch sensors hasnt tripped to let the roof computer know what position the roof is in it will stop but can still show in operation as the computer is still waiting for the correct signal from the switch.Most of the time it is one of the limit switches at fault needing replaced and this roof system has several of these switches that will need signals checked using either a dealers SDS machine or scan tool that can read the roof computer to locate and replace the faulty switch.

Thanks Pete