FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

2005 g55 "Brake light - drive to workshop" error has been

Customer Question

2005 g55
"Brake light - drive to workshop" error has been happening intermittently. Goes off when car is restarted.
Brakes work fine. Had pads and sensors replaced recently.
Brake lights do not illuminate when pedal is pressed if the dash warning is flashing. Otherwise they work fine (e.g. if car is turned off and restarted).
Any idea what this problem is? New pedal switch? Thanks.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. If the lights are not coming on then it may just be the brake switch. It may be disconnected or it may have failed. Many times after installing new brakes if the pad sensors are not installed securely then this will occur. I would check the connection on the brake pedal first. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It seems more complex. For instance, it seems to happen when backing into a parking space, then the warning light comes on. Restart the car, no more warning light and the brake lights work again.

If it were a failed switch, they would not come back on, unless failing in some limited way.

I worry about the ESP module. Could be a brake sensor I suppose also. We shall see.

Karl

How intermittent is it? Can you always get the vehicle out of park fine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes it shifts without any problem. So far anyway. Usually if I am shifting out of park, I have just started the car, and the warning light is not on.

Then I do not think it is the switch. It sounds more like the brake control module. I would start by having the brake pad sensors checked. You may want to have the shop that did the brakes check these. I think you might have a module issue starting though.