sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I'm ***** *****. I need to drain the fuel from the tank

Customer Question

Customer: I'm ***** *****. I need to drain the fuel from the tank because some gas was introduced into the system.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a ML 350 bluetec 2013. 4 gallons of gas was added to the tank by my son. He was able to drive it but it shuts down often. I am told that the tank needs to be drained (using the fuel pump?)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The easiest way to remove the fuel from the tank would be to run the pump until the tank is empty. A scan tool would be the easiest way to run the pump, if that isn't possible then the net easiest way would be to disconnect the solenoid wire from the starter and hold the key in the crank position. This should run the pump continuously as long as the key is held.

You'll also want to replace the fuel filter. The fuel filter is the best place to disconnect a line for draining. There is one line at the filter that goes to the high pressure pump, the opposite line is the one you'll want to disconnect and run to a suitable container for draining.