Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Clive here ---- 2008 Vito CDI 115 (Diesel auto) 302000kms

Customer Question

Hi there...Clive here ---- 2008 Vito CDI 115 (Diesel auto) 302000kms --- A "bulb" warning light resulted in checking bulbs which in turn led to fuse check. At some stage whilst using the rotary light switch the ignition switch shut down. (The indicator lights were being checked) Batt ok-fuses ok and in place correctly - remote key ok for locks - all lights/radio wrkg ok. Steering appears locked and ignition key not able to turn. As key inserted...a clicking is heard for a short time, but still unable to turn key------Am already advised to allow time with batt disconnected for system to re-boot...(also connect +ve to -ve whilst divorced from Batt) but no change. Chassis no – (Vin) WDF63970323446731
I’m 71yrs and just cannot afford an expensive repair bill.....Can you help??
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The clicking noise you hear sounds to be a possible fault with the electronic steering lock not releasing.Some models use an electronic steering lock that unlocks when the key is inserted.If the clicking noise is coming from the steering column area I suspect this is the cause here.If it stays locked and does not disengage the ignition will not turn on.On vehicles that have the electronic steering lock when it acts up like this here it usually requires replacement.I know some of the locks can cost around $200 and can run up to a couple of hours labor to have replaced.

This will have to be tested further to make sure this is the cause here and replaced if found at fault.

In some cases you can locate the electronic lock on the steering column and tap on it and it may start to work again but may also fail again at some point.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete