Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2010 E550 with airmatic suspension. Non 4Matic. Loud rattle

Customer Question

Customer: 2010 E550 with airmatic suspension. Non 4Matic. Loud rattle that seems to come from Lt Frt suspension when driving over bumpy streets. Low speed and higher speeds. Rattle is loud in morning when cold and quietens as car is driven. When car is warm, noise almost completely subsides. I think I can feel it in my feet as I drive. I have inspected/shaken/pryed/tightened everything around the suspension/subframe/motor and trans mounts that I can think of. Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That is all I can think of.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the sway bar links for any issues.I have seen issues with the sway bar links themselves that will cause this type of fault here with the sway bar links needing replaced.In some cases they will feel and appear o.k. but have slack in them needing replaced.

If these are all o.k. it is possible the left front air matic shock itself is failing needing replaced.It may still hold air and operate properly but may have a mechanical fault causing the noise here.

Most common is the sway bar links or sway bar bushings needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete