Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have 2004 SL500 and my remote stopped working, the battery

Customer Question

I have 2004 SL500 and my remote stopped working, the battery shows offline but when the car starts and then charges, I think my rear battery is weak or something is draining it, I have open the car doors manually and I can't get the latch open to put fuel in and I'm fumes. Do i need to replace the remote key I don't see a light coming on anymore and tried the ir sensor on it about 8" from the door and this still won't work, how can I open the gas tank to at least drive to a mechanic, I'm charging the rear and front battery on a slow charge to see if this takes the battery offline as opposed to running it for 15 minutes
Thanks,
Michael
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your fuel door lock is actuated by vacuum and if the vacuum system isnt working due to low voltage due to the main battery at fault or just weak needing recharged this may cause the locks to be inoperable.If you peel back the passenger side trunk lining you should see the vacuum line that attaches to the fuel door lock.In some cases you can tap into this line and apply vacuum to it to release the fuel door lock so you can open it or you might be able to see the lock actuator at the fuel door with the lining pulled back in the trunk to then actuate it or remove it by hand to get the fuel door opened.https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzjcz1mmkni3hv2/fue-12-20.JPG?dl=0

I have also tried the credit card method with sliding a card in between the fuel door and lock actuator to try and push the actuator lock out of the way or bending the fuel door striker to open the fuel door then re shaping the striker.

I suspect you may have a low battery issue with the trunk battery as this is the main battery for your model here.I would have it charged and see if it operates properly from there and the battery tested to be sure it is o.k.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay I'll try this but should I also request a new remote key since I have no power coming from this
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

If your remote key has failed then it will need replaced as well here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete