Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My 2005 500 sl roof is partially retracted and now the trunk

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** 500 sl roof is partially retracted and now the trunk is paritally raised and will not go any further in either direction. Is there a way to mechanically close the roof so I can drive it to a mechanc?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The roof retracted fine until a couple of days ago when it lowered and raised very slowly. Once or twice, after driving the car for about 30 minutes or more the roof functioned normally and then the next day it was slow again. Now I tried to lower it adn it stuck with the trund raised about six inches and will not lower anymore or return to the closed position
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check the trunk flaps.These are the flaps that fold in and out on the inside of the trunk lid.See if these are hanging down unevenly from each other as there was a bulletin on this issue from Mercedes to replace the flap gear housings due to the housings warping needing replaced.If these are found to be hanging or uneven with each other let me know or if they are found to be o.k. let me know as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete