Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

No power steering on 04 e320 mercedes
, Sure I am

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** no power steering on 04 e320 mercedes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure I am getting intermittent communication with ESP and the can BUS. Vehicle starts and drives but power steering is hard. Changed ESP module, steering rack and pump so far.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have any fault codes that are setting in the ESP or any other computer if you can post the code info here this will help.This may be a fault with a steering angle sensor or another sensor acting up possibly causing this as I have seen before.If you can post any codes here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Codes 20B7, 1876, C249F and 9027
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I see the code 1876 is a fault with communication with the traction control system.Code C249F indicates a fault of operating time of the hydraulic unit/brake hydraulic unit.Code 9027 is a fault with the heat exchanger shut off motor.This code wont cause the steering issue here but usually the heat control valve needs replaced which is usually connected in line with the heater core hoses near the windshield and is a common fault.

This sound like a fault with the brake hydraulic unit for the other two codes here.With this at fault this may be limiting or affecting the way the vehicle steers possibly as I have seen before.I have had to replace this before for various issues similar to this here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks so the SBC has passed its service limit this causes the vehicle to go into limp mode making the power steering hard to turn
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

The SBC is very common to fail as I have replace allot of these.In fact a dealer has a special adapter they connect to it directly that connects to their computer to check it for failure and they fail commonly.This is most likely putting the vehicle into a fail safe mode causing this issue here.

Your welcome,let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete