Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My ABC light came on saying drive carefully. I went to work

Customer Question

Customer: My ABC light came on saying drive carefully. I went to work and came out my left front side of the car was down. I put the key in the ignition to start and the ABC came and says too low to drive. Then I press my ABC button then the left side comes back up so I go back inside my office and come out again and the left front side is down again. I press the ABC button again and the left front side comes backup. My question is will I be able to drive the car home with this issue?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That is all I have noticed so far.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long of wait will it be?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like the common fault of the left front hydraulic ABC shock leaking down.I have seen these fail before quite a but needing replaced.Unfortunately they are not cheap some ranging around $2000 for just the part.

As long as the vehicle can stay lifted and you see no fluid leaks dripping under the vehicle or on the ground you should be o.k. to drive it but keep in mind if it does lower this can damage the tire and wheel as well as fender and if there are any fluid leaks if the fluid hits the hot exhaust it is possible to catch on fire.I havent seen one on fire yet myself but it is possible.If you feel un safe driving it this way it may be best to have it towed to a repair facility or dealer to check the leak and repair it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete