Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a w210 e230..my problem is the key will turn but no

Customer Question

Hi..i have a w210 e230..my problem is the key will turn but no light at meter cluster
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
prior to this,i can switch on the ignition when inserting key to EIS but engine would not crank..have to bridge starter relay connection for engine to crank
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the EIS (electronic ignition switch) itself or an issue with the battery being weak or the battery connections being corroded or loose.Check for any battery connection or battery issues.If a fault is found it will need corrected to resolve this here.If this is checked and all found to be o.k. I suspect the EIS is acting up/failing needing replaced.This will have to be tested further to be sure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have changed the battery to a new unit and after that central locking is not functioning. I can't use the remote control to lock or unlock the car.If i put the key into EIS and turn to position 2, there is nothing on the instrument cluster except for clock and odometer.Also i have no power from the 30 pin diagnostic connector
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

From here this sounds like a fault with the EIS itself with it needing replaced.I have seen this fail several times before in the past and had to replace it.I would have this tested to be sure this is the cause here before replacing it.Testing usually involves test equipment like a multi meter and either a dealers SDS machine or compatible scan tool for your model to be sure this is the cause here.I suspect it will be.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i tried swapping EIS from a known good car together with ESL and engine control unit but the problem remained.Nothing happen when i turn the key to position 3(start)
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Did the key even rotate in the ignition with the used replacement EIS installed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i can turn the key to position 1,2 and 3(start)