Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Having a starting problem with a 2000 S500, tried new key

Customer Question

Having a starting problem with a 2000 S500, tried new key but it only clicks once, has code p1570
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing to check here is to make sure all fuses are o.k.If a fuse had shorted out this can cause this here.If the fuses are all found to be o.k. this may be a fault with the EIS (electronic ignition switch) or the ME (engine computer) as these will cause the code to set and the no start.I can say most common between the two of these is usually the EIS needing replaced.

The cost I show for this is $545 and 1 hour to have replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete I already knew the things you stated, I gave you the code but you did not ak me the three parameter of the code. I am an import auto technician, but I am not very familiar with the Mercedes DAS3 system on the S500, do you have experience on the DAS if not then I will try another person?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I have see and diagnosed issues with the DAS system before.I will post the diagnostics for this fault code below here.If you need anything else on this with the diagnostics or want me to walk you through them let me know.

Start Enable of DAS Not Sent Test 1 Test Start Enable From DAS Test 2 Engine Compartment CAN Test Test 3 Test CAN Connection to N73 (EIS Control Module) 1 Test Start Enable From DAS Test requirement - The vehicle is unlocked. - Switch on ignition. Status of relevant actual value: - Start enable : Specified value - Start enable : YES Note: If fault code P1570 is present:The fault is detected by component N73 (EIS control module) and an appropriate message is transmitted through the engine CAN to component N3/10 (ME-SFI control module). Question - Is the actual value o.k.? Yes The actual value is okay. ** End of Test ** No The actual value is not o.k. Possible cause and remedy - An attempt was made to start the engine when vehicle was locked. - Fault in CAN communication with control unit EIS. - Read fault memory from control unit EIS and rectify faults. - Components N3/10 (ME-SFI control module) and N73 (EIS control module) do not match.Check the correctness of the MB part number. ** End of Test ** 2 Engine Compartment CAN Test No further information available. 3 Test CAN Connection to N73 (EIS Control Module) Test 3-1 Check CAN Bus. (General) Test 3-2 Test Total Resistance of the CAN Engine Test 3-3 Test Terminating Resistor of CAN Element in Control Module EIS Test 3-4 Test Terminating Resistor of CAN Element in Control Module ME-SFI 2.0 3-1 Check CAN Bus. (General) If several fault codes regarding CAN communication have occurred, the following causes of the fault are likely - Open circuit in voltage supply to the control modules involved - Short circuit or open circuit of CAN wires - Connector sleeves of the CAN bus If CAN communication between control module ME-SFI 2.0 and at least one other control module is fault-free, there is no fault at the CAN element of the control module ME-SFI 2.0.In this case proceed as follows: - Read fault memory of control module to which there is a fault in the communication.If a CAN fault regarding communication with control module ME-SFI 2.0 is present in this control module, then first of all test CAN lines between the two control modules. ** End of Test ** 3-2 Test Total Resistance of the CAN Engine Test requirement - Fault code 'P1603' present Test sequence - Switch off ignition. - Connect socket box to component N3/10 (ME-SFI control module). - (D.11) 43 <--> 44 (D.12) Specified value - Resistor [55...65] ohms Question - Is the measured value okay? Yes The measured value is o.k. Further possible causes of fault - Fault in control unit EIS:Read fault memory of control unit N73 (EIS control module). No The measured value is not o.k. Possible cause and remedy - Cable from component N73 (EIS control module) to component N3/10 (ME-SFI control module) - Test terminating resistor of CAN element in control module EIS. ** End of Test ** 3-3 Test Terminating Resistor of CAN Element in Control Module EIS Test requirement - Fault code 'P1603' present Test sequence - Switch off ignition. - Connect socket box to component N3/10 (ME-SFI control module). - Unplug the socket D at component N3/10 (ME-SFI control module). - (D.11) 43 <--> 44 (D.12) Specified value - Resistor [115...125] ohms Question - Is the measured value okay? Yes The measured value is o.k. Further possible causes of fault - Fault in control unit EIS:Read fault memory of control unit N73 (EIS control module). - Test terminating resistor of CAN element in control module ME-SFI 2.0. No The measured value is not o.k. Possible cause and remedy - Cable from component N73 (EIS control module) to component N3/10 (ME-SFI control module) - N73 (EIS control module) ** End of Test ** 3-4 Test Terminating Resistor of CAN Element in Control Module ME-SFI 2.0 Test requirement - Fault code 'P1603' present Test sequence - Switch off ignition. - Connect socket box to component N3/10 (ME-SFI control module). - Connector D is plugged in at control unit. - Unplug the socket D from the wiring harness at the socket box. - (D.11) 43 <--> 44 (D.12) Specified value - Resistor [115...125] ohms Question - Is the measured value okay? Yes The measured value is o.k. Further possible causes of fault - Fault in control unit EIS:Read fault memory of control unit N73 (EIS control module). No The measured value is not o.k. Possible cause and remedy - N3/10 (ME-SFI control module) ** End of Test **

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pete I ended up getting better advise from a free Mercedes forum on how to use the scanner to read the EIS and test the signal from the EIS to the engine control module on line 50 out of the EIS, I am not very satisfied with your assistance to me..
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize my info here didnt help with what you were looking for.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.

Thanks Pete