Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I just bought a 2012 R350 and today the fuel gauge is not

Customer Question

Customer: Hi! ***** *****. I just bought a 2012 R350 and today the fuel gauge is not working. I just filled up yesterday and it worked fine. Any suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My husband cranked it this morning just fine; 45 minutes later I go to crank it and nothing happens. I turn the key off and on twice and it starts but now the gas gauge shows empty. When I turn the car on the gas light shows, but the gauge won't move.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need a little more info to assist better.

If everything else is working properly in the vehicle except the fuel gauge this is usually a fault with the fuel level sensor itself needing replaced.I have seen the fuel level sensor cause this type of fault here before and had to replace it.It is located inside the fuel tank and can cost up around $500 or more to have replaced.If there are any other issues with the fuel gauge issue here let me know as this may be another component at fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is this covered under the warranty?
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

If your vehicle is still under factory warranty which it may be since it is a 2012 model then it would be covered under warranty for diagnosis and repair at no charge to you.You can contact a dealer with your vehicles VIN number from the dash and they can usually tell you over the phone if you are still under warranty with your particular model.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, on occasion when I make a left turn there is a popping noise.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for any delay.

The noise can be a fault with sway bar links as these are most common or the sway bar bushings.I have in some cases seen shock failure as well needing replaced.This should all be covered under warranty to be diagnosed and repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When diagnosis is performed, can the computer tell what the mileage was when the fuel leveling sensor went out?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

In some cases it can tell when the code set but I dont think this is the case for this code here.The scan tool or dealers sds machine will be able to show this next to the code or code history list if it shows when the code had failed/set.

Thanks Pete