Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I have a Mercedes SLK280 2007 model and the trunk will not

Customer Question

I have a Mercedes SLK280 2007 model and the trunk will not open with the key fob or the key. when pressing the button you can hear the trunk "click" but it will not open
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Your convertbile top work? A malfunction in the soft top control module will disable remote fiction of trunk. You should be able to open it with the key

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I absolutely cannot open it with the key even using an immense amount of pressure almost lifting the car off the ground. The inner enclosure is up, as my trunk is full of groceries. I can hear the latch click, both when I use the fob and the key, and when I manually try the latch....it will not open

Okay try this remove both battery cables tie them together they may not reach in your car if they don't use a jumper cable leave them tied together for a couple minutes while tied together cycle your key through all positions then turn to off. Then rehook cables and try to unlock then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The key will not cycle through any position with the battery terminals disconnected. I tried, but It is an electronic key.

That's okay skip that part and reattach cables

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have further suggestions?

Yes, try locking and unlocking with your key and then use fob, and as a last resort use your manual procedure for opening your softtop. Are you familiar with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a pry bar and a sledge hammer. When it finally opened, I can see all the electronic nonsense that triggers the latch is not working. everything mechanical still clicks,even the interior release inside the trunk.... but the mechanism is shot. (Not by me in this instance. ..the cheap plastic cogs are worn) I can replace that on my own. . .only dented the trunk cover, but nothing else would have worked. I calculate the damage will be less than what I would have lost in the contents of my trunk. Thanks for trying. . .but seriously....all this electronic nonsense. there is nothing truly manual to try in this ridiculous model. I own three mercedes, and this one takes the cake.
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 12 months ago.

I understand and I am glad you got it open. In alot of cases your right to much electronics. Well if you feel I helped you kindly give me a positive rating. If not please share with me anything else I can or could have done. And have a happy holidays