Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 2008 Mercedes Benz R320, my wife noticed there was

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mercedes Benz R320, my wife noticed there was no heat coming on driver side during auto climate. I tried on manual with fan on high and full heat, passenger side worked great, driver side nothing coming out, it did it on defrost, mid-level, and floor. I turned driver side to cold and it blew full blast and on all functions.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out using a scan tool/computer that can plug in and communicate with all computers,mainly the heater/ac computer/panel itself.Most likely one or more codes will be set that will aid in diagnosing and locating the fault here.

There are a couple of bulletins on the heating and ac system on this model here,both require programming of the heater/ac control unit with updated software and actuator calibration to be done using a dealers SDS machine.If no codes are set the software update needs done as well as actuator calibration.This is usually an hours time to have this done and needs done by a dealer or repair facility with an SDS machine.This takes about an hours time for them to do.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live over 100 miles from MB dealer, could I buy a star diagnostic (some under $1000) and do the calibration myself. I think that if I could use it and fix this problem at least one more, it would pay for itself. I would be nervous about the calibration and how to do that, would it be that difficult.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The SDS can be used to calibrate and you can do this yourself if you had this tool or one like it but the programming unfortunately has to be done by a dealer or authorized repair center as the SDS machine connects online to Mercedes to do the programming and only a dealer or authorized repair center can do this part.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete