Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I have a 2001 S 430 and it seemed to have some problems with

Customer Question

I have a 2001 S 430 and it seemed to have some problems with the battery I thought maybe I need a new battery. There are no malfunctions showing but the code read P0170 and P0035 the crank sensor was replaced but code still showing. so not the car wont start at all lights come on but there is nothing no crank at all and the shift gear will not go into park or any other gear it is stuck in neutral are all these issues related or are they seperate issues and if the gear is not shifting into any other gear should the malfunction ligh come on and tell me there is a transmission issue or the code reader should pick that up right? no codes no warnings?
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
basically the car will not start because it thinks its in neutal? and the battery seems to be abit low but the lights do come on but no crank at all. The code reader shows P0170 and P0035 would these issues stop the car from starting? Is there a safe mode or is it a transmission issue ? and are all these related or all of the sudden everything is going wrong at once in my car?
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 12 months ago.

Hello the crank sensor has nothing to do with these codes and they would not cause the issues you speak of, the 170 is a mixture formation code, which the most common reason for is vacuum lines, maf sensor, manifold cracking the 35 is a code for a turbo bypass control valve, again wouldnt cause your issue. Have you tried charging the battery. One thing I would do first and this works really well on merecedes is a reboot of the computer network and all its modules. This is done by disconnecting both battery cables tying them together after a minute or so operate the ignition switch through all positions, yes the cables are still tied together, then turn key off reattach the cables and if the battery is charged it should crank. I believe you are in logic lock. And as for the codes, my money without seeing it is on a bad maf sensor,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
how do I do that if the cables don't reach ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did it and the key won't turn at all.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I can't contect the battery cables they don't reach ???

Your right they want on your car use a jumper wire

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well I did and the keys won't even turn with out the battery being on the car
I went and bought a new battery it was a bad battery and now that it is all back connected and ready the car still will not shift out of neutral it is still not cranking over and it is giving me no malfunction signs what can I do to get the car to start ?

Before you put the battery in did you tie the cables together? Therr is s very specific reason to do this

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did and nothing happened I couldn't turn the key while the cables were tied together there was no battery so the key wouldn't turn after I connected the new battery the car still will not shift gears into park drive reverse it just shifts back and forth freely in neutral is there anyway other way to reset ?

Sir I am sorry there is not. Mercedes-Benz is one company that makes it extremely difficult for the owner or even after market repair shops to work on there cars. With out a scan tool and not just any you need there star tester to perform any diagnosis or reset. Rebooting the system like I told you is it.

Sir I have researched your problem and I am sorry to say that I cannot find anything to help you, we've had alot of problems with the ignition switch in this model, but it's not something you could replace there are no manual resets. You can carefully check all fuses and connections at battery. And if you can't find anything tow it to the dealer don't let just anybody work on it

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 11 months ago.

Sir if I have helped you kindly give me a positive rating, it is how I receive credit for helping you. If I can help you with anything else. Please allow me.