Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2002 s430 shifter stuck in park, I was previously

Customer Question

I have a 2002 s430 shifter stuck in park, I was previously able to hit down on shiftter with a rag and a hammer to get of of park, but now it won't budge, suggestions?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'d remove the shifter and replace the broken pawl so it works properly. If you are trying to avoid doing that you can try forcing the shifter out of park by shaking and pulling back forcefully. The hammer on top of the shifter usually works but it sounds like the pawl may be stuck and is no longer moving out of the way when you bang on the shifter. If you are not removing the shift knob before you hit down on the top of the shifter you should do that first. Also, if you pull back too hard on the shifter while you are striking down on the shifter it won't come out of park. Pull back gently while you are striking the shifter. You can purchase replacement pawls on ebay. Click on the link below.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XMercedes+w220+shifter+repai.TRS0&_nkw=Mercedes+w220+shifter+repair&_sacat=0

Let me know if you have any questions. Please click on a rating for my service as this is the only way that I receive credit from the website for helping you.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?