Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1983 380sl and in the past couple days, when

Customer Question

I have a 1983 380sl and in the past couple days, when traveling at 55 to 60 the transmission is not shifting into the next gear until I get up to about 3200 rpms. It would normally shift around 2700-2800 rpms.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** transmission shifting is influenced by the throttle cable to the transmission and the modulator pressure and the transmission governor. First I would make sure that the fluid level is correct. Next the adjustment of the throttle cable to the transmission should be checked. The modulator valve should be checked for leakage and the vacuum to the modulator should be tested. If the modulator is good and the problem is not solved by adjusting the throttle cable it is possible that the governor pressure in the transmission is low and it requires more engine rpm to get the pressure high enough for the transmission to shift to the next gear. A transmission fluid and filter change may help the situation.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please click on a rating for my help today as t his is the only way I receive credit from the website.

Marty