Hipo64
Hipo64, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Work and diagnose electronics on daily basis.
41577536

Engine wont crank. All instrument panel lights come one and

Customer Question

engine wont crank. All instrument panel lights come one and won't go off.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! are you available to chat now?

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

Do you hear e click in the ignition switch when key is inserted? are you able to see selector gear position on instrument cluster display? if so are you able to shift between gears when ignition is in on position?

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have access to Diagnostic scanner able to scan DAS (drive authorization system)?

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

There can be few reasons for no start, Ignition key(but we can rule out key as you have tried 2 different keys)

EIS- electronic ignition switch failure, Inteligent servo module for direct selct gears

Engine computer failure, Starter relay, fuse F122 located in front fuse box - right front of engine compartment

and last Bad starter motor.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

the first thing to do is:- access fuse F122 - fuse are numbered. you can see fuse number stanped on the fuse box right beside each fuse. use test light connected to Good ground and check for power in that fuse as key is turned to start position

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

if you have power at the fuse, then you have a failed starter motor, if you do not have power at the fuse.

proper diagnostic scanner is needed to scan the system and retrieve fault codes which will point to the failing component or

communication problems on the CAN network.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

Please check and get back to me with any results or questions

Best Regards Pavlin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hearing some clicking in the rear of the car. Yes I can see the gear selection. I tried to start in Neutral as well. But nothing. I have an Autel Maxidas ds708. I can read the DAS. I have a voltmeter to check fuse F122. I will do that now
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is power going to F122. The light comes on when the key is turned on
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

okay, so it is the starter

last check you need to do before changing the starter is that there is no problem with Battery supply power cable to starter, and you have power to starter solenoid when key is in start position. if all is good replace starter, if you see a problem, repair wiring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to put power to the starter to see if it will actuate? I read some place that there is a wire that I can supply 12V to the starter to see if it will turn.
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

It is fuse F122 that goes to starter, it is same thing. but if you want you can go directly to the starter. You have one large cable to starter from battery and one small wire coming from Fuse 122. you can apply power directly to the small wire at starter solenoid. it will have the same effect as supplying power to fuse 122. the only problem can be if wire between fuse 122 to starter is broken.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

smal wire going to starter solenoid is Violet color or violet with white stripe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I already have the battery chamber open so I will go from both places just to make sure.
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

okay, but it is 99% starter issue. just go to starter and short battery supply to sygnal wire, starter shout turn. if nothing happens or you have heavy sparking - replace starter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked in the battery compartment underneath the front passenger seat. But I don't see the purple wire there. Am I in the wrong place? Or do I have to go directly to the starter on the engine block?
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

You need to go directly to starter motor on engine block.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't be able to get at the starter today due to the position of the vehicle. Is it possible to finish this tomorrow?
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

Sure, any time that is convenient for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that on the ds708 scan tool I get a circuit 30 undervoltage < 7V. I noticed while I was searching for a diagram of where the starter was located that the Circuit 30 has to do with the starter (solenoid)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed on a DIY instruction for starter removal that the Circuit 30 has to do with the starter (solenoid)
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

Circuit 30 is battery voltage, check battery charge

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. I guess that was because I was trying to start it so many times and the battery went down. This is why I ended up changing the battery and got the same non starting result. I did the scan after I had drained the battery and before I changed to the new one. No worries. I will get at the starter tomorrow. Regards. John.
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, how it goes?