Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I drive a 1991 MBZ 190e 2.3 sedan automatic runs on premium

Customer Question

I drive a 1991 MBZ 190e 2.3 sedan automatic runs on premium unleaded fuel. As recent as yesterday I hve experienced the car surge then the engine cuts off while driving. The radio continues to play. I pull over turn the key off wait a few minutes then the car restarts and I go about my way. I had this experience twice Saturday for a total of about six to seven times within the past week. Can you tell me what might be going on with my car.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'s possible that the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay is malfunctioning. You should have the fuel pressure tested and the relay inspected when the car is not starting. It can be difficult to catch an intermittent problem like this in order to do any testing. Ideally a test for spark from the ignition system should also be performed when the car stalls. A faulty fuel pump relay is pretty common for this type of problem. You might try substituting a known good fuel pump relay and see if it solves the problem.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please rate my service in order for the website to credit me for my help.

Marty