EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

My retired neighbor replaced the battery in s 2001 CL 55 and

Customer Question

my retired neighbor replaced the battery in his 2001 CL 55 and did not provide a continuity in the circuit while the old battery was removed and the car was awaiting the arrival and installation of the new..Now it will not respond to the smart key or the steel insert.and will not turn over nor can we hear the click of the solenoid...although the alarm appears activated and responds to the key and the windows and lights seem to work properly...He's a WWII hero from Guadcalnal and belittles his exploits but is vocally proud of his CL55 AMG and his army learned "field repairs". can he fix it himself?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

It has lost memory for the key and will need to be reprogrammed, which requires the use of a MB STAR scan tool. He can try removing the battery from the smart key for a few minutes and reinserting and trying it, but this rarely works. If it doesnt, then it will require reprogramming of the control module to the keys.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that the MB STAR scan tool is the service dept response..but there is a way to override the electronic key in a situation where the Star Scanner is not readily available.. that is what we are asking about ..Also, I just noticed that my e mail has received a new password each time I accessed the Just Ask site to see if there was a response. When I submitted the question, I was advised that there was an access fee and a response fee which would total $30.00..or $31.00? .In any event I submitted my Visa info..Since by now I have at least three "temporary passwords" for the same inquiry I have two concerns..first Am I being billed for more than one enquiry?..but even more important...that another expert might have expended his valuable time and will not be given credit for it
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I have sent this to customer service so that they can help you on your concerns on the billing

Expert:  Kent-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/9f8ha-retired-neighbor-replaced-battery-2001-cl-55.html).
Thank you,
The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. There is no "bypass" to get the keys working in the event there is no MB STAR available. But there are other tools that can program the keys. For example a local locksmith has the capability to program these keys. And they can come out to the site where the car is.