Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

The radio/audio LED display on a 2003 Mercedes CLK320 I just

Customer Question

The radio/audio LED display on a 2003 Mercedes CLK320 I just bought was not working. After much looking around, the dealer offered to install a new system. Yesterday, driving home from Car Toys after having the new radio installed, I noticed that the instrument cluster that is usually lit up and generally displays mileage and error problems, was dark. A yellow triangle with a exclamation point ! displayed above the dark panel.
I called Car Toys, and they said that when the Mercedes sound system is removed, the panel will only light up to display error messages. I am very concerned. Should I return the new system and have the old one re-installed? I can't see which channel is on because of malfunctioning LED screen, but everything else on it works.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens is the after market components do not match with the vehicle electronics and on Mercedes almost all electronics communicate with each other.When an after market component is installed this can disable the feature you see that isnt working now because the after market component isnt fully compatible with the vehicle.This is common unfortunately and the choice is to either leave it be as it is or have a factory unit put into it to correct this issue.I have seen this several times before with after market components.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete